Sunday, March 9, 2008

Pro Procrastination

There is nothing I'm better at than procrastinating. I have a huge paper due next Monday, and I told myself that I would start working on it this weekend. And as a result I have had a very fun weekend. After class on Friday, my rooms and I went to Long Street, did some shopping, got burned by a lady's cigarette, and finished with Power Yoga. 
Now, the shopping was fun, but the Power Yoga was death. Power Yoga is 60 minutes of jumping, sweating, downward dog, and ass slaps from our Scottish instructor. By the halfway mark the look of horror was plastered on my face. And by the end, I was laying down on my mat waiting for our instructor to say, "Namaste." 
On the van ride home, we ran into Lover's Walk. Which is becoming quite the routine for us. And then met up again at the "What the Fuck" party. I wasn't sure how the other international or South Africa students were going to respond to a theme, but I was pleasantly surprised. By that, of course, there was one guy in a banana hammock, the hostesses were all decked out in crazy layers and platform shoes, and there was plenty of fake hair worn by both male and female.
Personally, Devonshire Hills loved Claire's take on the theme, she looked glamorous per usual, save for the huge red lipstick smear across her right cheek. Unfortunately, most of the party goers did not understand subtlety, and Claire was asked about her face all night. Meg and I chose to believe you could wear whatever costume you wanted, so Meg was an ice dancer. I wore what I would probably have worn to any 404 dance party. 
The next morning Meg and I got up very early (10:00!) and hiked with the Abby squared and Jill, up Table Mountain! The mountain was teaming with people, the ones that freaked me out most were the mountain runners. These men were running down the rocky paths, as some kind of Xtreme! exercise. 
I imagine it was a combination of their daring, as well as their fitness, that freaked me out. 
But yeah, I loved the hike. Meg and I actually realized we like exercising. (But of course, I liked the hike more afterward than during.) We rejoiced at the top by hydrating and taking a few sweaty pictures, and then the five of us took the cable car down. So, I might even go again next Saturday, just earlier, to avoid the noon time sun. 
The cable car ride also reminded me how much I love roller coasters. I will find one in South Africa. It is now my mission. 
After we got home, and paid Abby back for being our sugar mama all day, Meg and I had our fill of Indian food. We've found great vegetable Korma just outside our back gate. I will be going back as frequently as possible. We will also be going to expose Jill to Indian food; a delicacy she hasn't even tried after one bad experience five years ago. 
Last night, Jill, Meg, and I went to see "Face-IT!" in Kalk Bay. It was a one woman play about facebook. Well, kinda. It was her thoughts on technology and different videos that she had made. To be honest, it reminded me a lot of the Moveable Joints. Especially the videos. And it was pretty great. I definitely laughed aloud when she did her "Tessie Techie: Techie to the Stars!" But the highlight by far, was the closer, her choreographed dance with the entire Prich company to Daft Punk's "Technologic."
So good. It only inspired future developments for Sparkle Motion. 
It's coming, it's coming.
Jill, Meg, and I finished up the night at La Cubana with two other international students who saw "Face-IT." Now, I could lie and tell you I drank another Gin 2 (slang for whore, as well as a gin and mango juice cocktail; another sidenote on that, there is no lemonade in Cape Town. I miss sipping on 403s). But all we wanted from this club was nachos. And might I add, here is the key to these nachos, these nachos are made with Dorritos. Something that will definitely be re-created in the states. 
And now for today. Now we had hoped to go to Kirstenbosch to see Goldfish. But just as I had feared it was sold out. And of course, being Sunday, everything is closed, so how could I possibly procrastinate? Well, by having a very long and delicious breakfast at Cafe Sofia. French Toast with bananas if you were wondering. And then I encouraged all my roommates to rearrange the furniture with me. Our living room looks divine. And while I should have been reading "The Ethnic Phenomenom," for Sibs, I've been blogging. And eating the sugar cookies Claire made to reward me for doing homework. 
So, really, procrastinating at it's finest. 

1 comment:

Franks 'n Beans said...

go here: three in south africa!

http://www.bannister.org/coasters/countries.htm

love you, lezzie mate. miss you like crazy. xoxoxox.